What’s Unique about Communication and Theatre at William Jewell College
The ability to communicate well is consistently rated as an essential component of both professional and personal success.
The Department of Communication and Theatre produces graduates who are effective, strategic, self-aware, composed, ethical, and adaptive communicators in written, oral, and electronic form across a variety of contexts, which include interpersonal, organizational, intercultural, and media realms.
- Jewell debate has won multiple intercollegiate debate national championships and is consistently ranked as one of the best debate teams in the nation.
- Jewell Theatre exposes students to diverse approaches to performance and design through training that includes both classical and contemporary techniques.
- All seniors complete independent capstone projects in which they publicly present the results of original research they have conducted or theatre performances they have directed.
- Our students have presented their work at regional and national scholarly conferences and workshops. Alumni regularly express that their capstone projects have set them apart from graduates of other colleges and universities.
- All Communication and Theatre majors complete an internship, which prepares students for their chosen careers and provides them with invaluable networking opportunities. Jewell interns have an exceptional reputation and are highly valued by organizations throughout the country.
- Communication: This major examines the ways in which communication occurs within a business, non-profit or other organizational setting. A major for those seeking careers in law, advertising, politics, public relations, media or business. Students also may select a minor in Communication.
- Public Relations: This program provides the skills students need to pursue careers in PR, integrated communication and marketing, promotions and event planning, and advertising.
- Theatre: The degree in theatre provides a specialized, integrated approach to the study of theatre. A pre-professional major for students with career aspirations in the theatre. A minor is also available in Theatre.
- Speech/Theatre Education: A secondary education certification for those who are interested in teaching high school speech, debate or theatre.
Visit the Course Catalog for program requirements and course descriptions.