Missourians have held fast to the verse “remember what the Lord hath done” (Psalms 105:15). In 1885 the Missouri Baptist Historical Society was formed to do just that. State-wide support was given to preserving the history of Baptists through collecting historical documents and submitting new written works. The Society would convene right after the General Association (now called Missouri Baptist Convention) would recess. All who attended the annual meeting would participate in the Society meeting. Over the years, changes in the role of the Society and the formation of other organizations have provided many resources and programs to preserve history. Since 1981 the William E. Partee Center for Baptist Historical Studies, located on the campus of William Jewell College, serves as an historical archives commemorating Missouri Baptist heritage and has provided leadership to the Society. Creative and beneficial programs have been enacted to teach churches, associations and individuals how to preserve records and organize their own valuable histories.
The Society is a voluntary, non-profit organization which seeks to provide direction, education and encouragement for the study and preservation of Missouri Baptist history and heritage.
The Society serves to collect historical records for the Partee Center for Baptist Historical Studies at William Jewell College. It works to preserve Missouri Baptist history by promoting research, writing and publishing.
The Society accomplishes its mission through cooperative ventures with Missouri Baptist denominational bodies, the Partee Center for Baptist Historical Studies and other entities. Its ministries and services include publication of historical research, meetings, awards and programs. Society membership is open to all individuals, churches, associations, libraries, and other organizations.
The Society office is at the Partee Center for Baptist Historical studies, William Jewell College.