The ability to communicate well is consistently rated as an essential component of both professional and personal success.
The Department of Communication and Theatre produces graduates who are effective, strategic, self-aware, composed, ethical, and adaptive communicators in written, oral, and electronic form across a variety of contexts, which include interpersonal, organizational, intercultural, and media realms.
- Jewell debate, which entered the season ranked 6th in the nation, has won a record five-consecutive Missouri State Championships in parliamentary debate.
- Jewell Theatre exposes students to diverse approaches to performance and design through training that includes both classical and contemporary techniques.
- All seniors complete independent capstone projects in which they publicly present the results of original research they have conducted or theatre performances they have directed.
- Our students have presented their work at regional and national scholarly conferences and workshops. Alumni regularly express that their capstone projects have set them apart from graduates of other colleges and universities.
- All Communication and Theatre majors complete an internship, which prepares students for their chosen careers and provides them with invaluable networking opportunities. Jewell interns have an exceptional reputation and are highly valued by organizations throughout the country.