Jobs at Jewell: Academic Records Associate (POSITION FILLED)
Department: Office of the Registrar
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This full-time employee is responsible for handling the tasks that arise at the counter of the Office of the Registrar, both in person and by phone. Most, but not all, of these tasks involve assisting students with requests concerning their enrollment, records, registration, transcripts, proofs of enrollment, graduation requirements, etc. Other persons who call or come to the counter - including faculty, staff, parents, alumni, and visitors - may require assistance with specific matters of business or with general questions about the college. This employee is also responsible for updating students' records in Datatel including, but not limited to, address changes, overseas grades, and transfer work. This person would also substitute for the Data Analyst in her absence and be able to assist her in querying Datatel.
Duties and Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Assist all persons at the front counter of the Registrar's Office, including students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, and other visitors. Maintain a helpful, courteous atmosphere as a part of offering excellent customer service, regardless of the situation.
- Be able to fill in during the absence of the Data Analyst, with the same problem-solving skills and knowledge of Datatel as the Data Analyst. Be able to run reports and updates in Query Builder in order to provide assistance to the Data Analyst.
- Take the initiative to find answers to questions and solutions to problems that arise in the course of fulfilling duties.
- Process transcript requests for current and former students (received at counter, by mail, or by fax), including printing transcripts from Datatel and preparing transcripts and envelopes for mailing, faxing, or pick-up. This is a daily process.
- Be responsible for payments received for transcript processing (including the on-line paying process, checks, cash, and money orders); balance the cash box with reports on a weekly basis.
- Process all address changes that come from transcript requests, making changes in Datatel and sending copies to the Alumni Office. This is a weekly process.
- Assist students needing help with WebAdvisor, including registration. Register students through Datatel, as needed. Process registration changes (adds, drops, other forms) for students.
- Process student withdrawal forms, Approval-for-Non-WJC-Coursework forms, KCASE forms, etc.
- Process requests for "good standing" confirmation and enrollment verifications for insurance companies, scholarship sources, etc.
- Maintain all student files and registration notebooks, overseeing filing performed by student workers.
- Process education verifications for alumni and former students (including National Student Clearinghouse requests), and various other forms, letters and documents as needed.
- Be responsible daily for seeing that mail is picked up, distributed, processed, and sent.
- Assist with projects related to graduation (lists, mailings, diplomas, etc.) and with other functions of the Registrar's Office, on an as-needed basis.
- Be available occasionally to work on Saturdays, if assistance is needed for special events (e.g., new student registration and graduation).
- Be responsible for maintaining and updating STUACAD on a weekly basis for use by the campus community.
- Process grades and grade changes, including incompletes and extensions of incompletes.
- Oversee the student workers who may assist with some of the above duties.
- Other duties, including answering the phone, as assigned.
- A minimum of one year of college is required; a college degree is preferred. Experience in an office-related job is expected; a person without a completed college degree can substitute work experience in an office setting. Previous experience with academic records, such as in a Registrar's office or an Admission office, is a plus. Previous experience with querying a database is also desirable.
- Must be able to work in an environment of competing and continuous demands on one's time and must be able to carry out and follow through with more than one task at a time. Must have the ability to handle diverse duties with minimal supervision while being interrupted constantly.
- Must possess strong organizational and computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel. Advanced knowledge of word processing and data entry skills will be important. Must be able to become proficient in the use of Datatel and WebAdvisor programs as they relate to the Registrar's Office functions, and to learn to perform ad hoc database extractions based on knowledge of the database query language.
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, with the understanding of how to relate in a professional manner with everyone. Must understand the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of student records and other information.
- Must have excellent customer service skills while possessing a desire and ability to work with students, handling their demands and frustrations in a calm, helpful manner. Must be able to field and handle questions from faculty and staff, as well as from parents, alumni, and others.
- Must be able to analyze situations accurately and possess a high degree of independent thinking and attention to detail.
Standard office environment. The candidate must be able to work with ease under conditions of busy and multiple demands.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
- Letter of application
- William Jewell Application
- Salary Requirements
Please Note: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources:
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises to offer students an outstanding liberal arts education with a focus on cultivating leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.