Jobs at Jewell: Admission Counselor - Revised (temporary position)
Position to begin in April 2013
Department: Office of Admission
Reports To: Dean of Admission
FLSA Status: Exempt
The purpose of this position is to coordinate all aspects of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Accelerated Track (BSn-AT) for William Jewell College and for the Department of Nursing from the application process to graduation. To serve as a resource for scholarship and financial aid for all nursing students. To facilitate communication flow between the Department of Nursing, Admission, the Registrar's Office, Advising, and Business Office as it relates to the BSn-AT program. Maintain and update department documents. Keep the department advising list accurate and provide the updated list to the Advising Dean. Assist the Transfer Admission Counselor to assure transfer students are meeting needed qualifications and prerequisites. To work with nursing recruiter in activities such as college fairs and health care agencies employment fairs to recruit and retain qualified applicants. Depending on demand for these programs, other general recruiting activities for the College may be assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
Serve as initial contact for BSn-AT nursing candidates.
Return phone calls and emails from prospective students in a timely manner.
Counsel prospective students about the BSn-AT program's intensive nature, pre-requisite requirements, application and admission process, and program coursework.
Represent the Department of Nursing as a liaison for students admitted to the program (BSn and BSn-AT) during the period prior to beginning the program, to include the maintenance of pre-requisite course requirements and verifying completion of those courses.
Collaborate with Office of Admission to efficiently process application files and admission decisions.
Monitor recruitment and application records of BSn-AT candidates on a regular basis.
Determine when formal interviews are required for Transfer, BSn, and BSn-AT candidates.
Attend local community college fairs (Penn Valley Community College, Johnson County Community College, and Maple Woods Community College) and health care agencies Employment Fairs.
Collaborate with the BSn-AT Advisors to manage the individual and group meetings for candidates.
Participate as a regular member of the Admission staff by attending weekly staff meetings and meeting with Dean of Admission on a regular basis.
Meet regularly for updates with the Chair and faculty of the Department of Nursing.
- Assist with or coordinate special events both on and off campus.
- Provide a friendly and professional atmosphere for all students, faculty and visitors in the Department of Nursing.
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of transfer and nursing student registration and work with Admission and Student Life to assist with Cardinal registration and other orientation and recruitment programs throughout the year.
- Play a key role in visiting with all transfer and nursing students during their campus visit, including providing a tour of the Department of Nursing to prospective students.
- Responsible for providing regular reports and updates on transfer and nursing enrollment to the Dean of Admission and the Department of Nursing Chair.
- Update and maintain Department of Nursing website.
- Update and maintain nursing applications, supplement guides, and curriculum guides.
- Participate in the planning of orientation programs for the transfer, BSn, and BSn-AT students.
- Work with current Jewell students who are contemplating changing majors.
- Assist with all Office of Admission on-campus recruitment events.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean of Admission and Department of Nursing Chair.
Promote the Mission, Promise, Values and Vision of the College in daily activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with students.
- Experience in recruitment and admission preferred.
- Ability to function in a flexible, student-centered environment.
- Ability to plan, organize and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to maintain admission data systems.
- Basic knowledge and ability with Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office products.
- Valid driver's license and willingness to travel out of town.
- Normal working/office hours required. Position entails long hours during parts of the academic year, based upon key periods within the admission cycle.
- Evening and weekend hours will be required.
- Overnight travel will be required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Candidates must submit the following documents in PDF or MS Word format via email to jobs AT william.jewell DOT edu
•William Jewell College application
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources.
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises students an outstanding liberal arts education that cultivates leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.