Jobs at Jewell: Assistant Professor of Biology (Developmental Biology)
Department: Department of Biology
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Department of Biology seeks applicants for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Biology position to begin August 2014. The successful candidate will be trained in vertebrate developmental biology and have demonstrated teaching capacity in human physiology. Preferred candidates will have post-doctoral experience and experience in teaching in hands-on, collaborative learning environments and mentoring undergraduate research.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teaching responsibilities within the Department of Biology will include:
- Courses in Cellular and Molecular Biology, Genetics and Human Physiology and their associated labs as well as upper level courses in the general area of Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Mentoring undergraduate research as part of the department’s 4 semester, required undergraduate research program
- The opportunity to develop new courses in the candidate’s area of expertise is encouraged
- Teaching contribution to the College’s Core curriculum
- Continued creative production and publication, academic advising, and involvement in College and departmental committees and activities
- Ph.D. in Biology or related area with research experience in vertebrate developmental biology
- Capacity to teach human physiology
- Postdoctoral research experience preferred
- Evidence of successful teaching at the college level
- Experience mentoring undergraduate research
- A strong record of publication
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhausive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
- Letter of application
- William Jewell Application
- Curriculum vitae
- Response to the college mission
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Scholarly/Creative goals
- Transcripts (copies are acceptable until finalists are selected)
- Three letters of recommendation (for finalists only)
Please note: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources:
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin November 15, 2013 and continue until the position is filled.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises to offer students an outstanding liberal arts education with a focus on cultivating leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.