Jobs at Jewell: Assistant Professor of Economics
Department: Department of Business and Leadership
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Department of Business and Leadership seeks applicants for a full-time, tenure track faculty member who will be responsible for teaching, scholarship and service roles in the Department of Business and Leadership. This individual will be a part of the Business and Leadership faculty with their primary teaching responsibilities in the area of economics and will be expected to pursue an active research program. The successful candidate must have a combination of academic and practical experience in the field of accounting and a doctoral degree in economics. College teaching experience is preferred and a scholarly agenda and willingness to provide service to the department and the College community is expected.
- Ph.D. in Economics required but ABD applicants will be considered.
- A willingness to be entrepreneurial to revise and grow an existing program.
- A willingness to assume a variety of responsibilities in a small department.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a high aptitude for and interest in undergraduate teaching.
- A commitment to teach economics from a liberal arts perspective and potential participation in the College’s Critical Thought and Inquiry (CTI) program.
- A desire to develop and engage in innovative pedagogical approaches.
- Vision for a scholarship agenda.
- A willingness to contribute to the College’s mission as described in the mission statement (see below).
- A demonstrated interest in economic development.
- The candidate should exhibit flexibility and capacity for shaping introductory through advanced courses around the candidate's areas of specialization, including courses that would serve the College's Critical Thought and Inquiry (CTI) program.
Duties and Responsibilities
Teaching responsibilities in the Department of Business and Leadership could include the following based on experience and expertise: Economic Principles, International Economics, Developmental Economics and Money and Banking.
- Teach economic courses in the Department of Business and Leadership.
- Advising students in the economics and business administration majors.
- Develop a scholarship plan and make progression on described goals.
- Other responsibilities will include advising, and service to the Department and the College.
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- William Jewell College application
- Transcripts (copies are acceptable until finalists are selected)
- Brief statement of teaching philosophy plus any additional evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Two or three confidential letters of recommendation (to be sent directly by your referees), along with name and contact information for the referees
- Statement of how you would contribute to the College’s mission (see below)
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources.
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Submissions are currently being reviewed by the search commmittee. New applications are still being accepted. Position is open until filled.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises students an outstanding liberal arts education that cultivates leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.