Jobs at Jewell: Assistant Professor of English
Department: Department of English
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Department of English seeks applicants for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of English position to begin August 2013. The successful candidate will be trained in creative writing--poetry. Preferred candidates will also have the ability to teach creative nonfiction and a strong academic background in one or more of the following areas: critical theory, world literature, or minority literature.
- MFA in creative writing or Ph.D. in English or related area with creative dissertation.
- Evidence of successful teaching at the college level.
- A strong record of publication.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teaching responsibilities within the Department of English will include classes in creative writing, as well as literature and/or critical theory.
- Teaching contribution to the College’s Core curriculum.
- Continued creative production and publication, academic advising, and involvement in College and departmental committees and activities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources.
- Letter of application
- William Jewell Application
- Curriculum vitae
- Response to the college mission
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Scholarly/Creative goals
- Transcripts (copies are acceptable until finalists are selected)
- Three letters of recommendation (for finalists only)
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin November 1, 2012 and continue until the position is filled.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises students an outstanding liberal arts education that cultivates leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.