Jobs at Jewell: Assistant to the Provost (Position Filled 10/30/13)
Department: Office of the Provost
Reports to: Provost
FLSA Status: Exempt
Performs executive level secretarial and administrative duties to support the Provost of the College. Responsible for communication from the Provost's Office with faculty, staff, students, parents and trustees. This person assists in the research, analysis and preparation of reports in support of the Office of the Provost.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the Provost's office and travel schedule, handles advance planning for travel and campus meetings, sets appointments and maintains overall office calendar.
- Organizes Provost's involvement and Provost's Office interactions for traditional campus events (e.g., academic events, lectures, workshops, convocations, and other special events). Creates checklists of Provost's responsibilities, drafts correspondence for the Provost's signature, communicates with campus offices, and supervises preparation of invitation lists as appropriate.
- Interacts by phone and in person with individuals seeking information, making requests, or registering complaints, and screens contacts desiring access to the Provost.
- Provides assistance to the Provost with communication, implementation of the College's policies and decisions made by the Provost.
- Makes arrangements for Faculty meetings, forums, and papers; prepares agenda in coordination with the Faculty Council; processes, secures, and distributes supporting materials; files records; serves as the recording secretary to the Faculty at their business meetings.
- Serves as special projects coordinator for maintaining faculty personnel files and database of pre-tenure, tenure, promotion, and post-tenure review schedule; administering College's course evaluation system; and student correspondences and records related to academic honor and academic performance, includes maintaining a database of academic honor code violations.
- Assists faculty search committees, and coordinates with the Provost and Human Resources on prospective faculty interviews and orientation of new faculty.
- Researches and prepares materials used by the Provost in the management and assessment of appropriate College functions.
- Manages filing system for correspondence, faculty and administrative files, students, events and organizational files.
- Controls a follow-up system that is designed to maintain office efficiency and integrity, ensure timeliness on appointments and commitments, minimize belated responses to Provost request/directive, and to eliminate missed deadlines.
- Processes invoices, monitors office budget, and prepares cost analysis of events. Maintains records of, and assists in the management of faculty development, summer grant and sabbatical funds.
- Manages all administrative functions of the Provost's Office.
- Uses discretion and independent judgment in dealing with matters presented to the Provost's Office by faculty, staff, students, parents and trustees.
- Works in a coordinated fashion with the Assistant to the President regarding effective operation of the Executive Offices.
- Supervises a student worker.
- Other duties as assigned, including assisting the President or Vice President of Finance and Administration.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Several years of related administrative/executive assistant and office management experience in positions that demonstrate the ability to work independently, solve problems, and exercise independent and mature judgment is required.
- A thorough knowledge, or ability to learn, about the institution and academic affairs and student life, and the ability to relate to faculty and students is necessary.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computer applications including Microsoft Office and ability to learn the College administrative records system and additional applications.
- Strong verbal, written communication and organization skills.
- Well organized, able to multi-task in an academic calendar with its varied rhythms that can often be fast paced.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with frequent interruption and remain calm under pressure.
Normal office environment. May require evening and/or weekend work.
Supervises a student worker.
Candidates must submit the following documents in PDF or MS Word format via email to jobs AT william.jewell DOT edu
• Cover letter
• William Jewell College application
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources.
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises students an outstanding liberal arts education that cultivates leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.