Department: College Relations and Marketing
Job Title: Communications Specialist
Reports to: Director of Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Communications Specialist is responsible for assisting with the day-to-day operations of the Office of College Relations and Marketing, including message development, writing and design of printed and electronic communication to internal and external constituencies. The Communications Specialist must demonstrate excellent writing and communication skills, execute a high level of creativity, conduct work with a balance of attention to detail and strategic vision, and represent the College in a positive manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Produces content for the web site, online and print publications, news releases, Achieve magazine, internal communication, e-communications, Institutional Advancement campaigns, fundraising solicitations, grant applications and overall promotion of the College.
- Edits and proofreads print and digital material.
- Serves as the primary writer and developer of donor annual reports.
- Communicates themes, stories and news that appropriately position the College in the minds of prospective students, parents, alumni, friends and the public.
- Writes, designs and distributes targeted emails for the Office of Alumni Relations and other internal departments using the College’s broadcast email tool.
- Assists with auditing content on the College’s web site and Intranet, removing dated material and developing new content.
- Helps enforce graphic standards, ensuring brand-compliance and messaging consistency in all College communications.
- Assists with marketing College special events.
- Measures the effectiveness of electronic communications including the web site, Cardinal Community (alumni network), specialty sites (including electronic newsletters and department sites), social networking initiatives and broadcast emails.
- Uses social media, emerging platforms and online communities to promote the College and its strategic goals.
- Helps develop and execute marketing plans for College-sponsored programs and initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required.
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience in marketing, communications or public relations preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of the use of social media platforms and website technologies to build an audience on these platforms.
- Experience with media publishing and editing technologies, including Adobe products, Microsoft Office and content management website software.
- Strong working knowledge of the latest web development, publications, e-communications, branding and market research techniques and practices preferred.
- Experience in print and web design preferred.
- Experience writing and editing content for the web.
- Aptitude for strategic planning and project development.
- Experience with content management systems preferred.
- Ability to balance multiple projects with high-level accuracy in a deadline driven environment. Superior proofreading ability is required.
- Ability to work as part of a team with a positive attitude.
- Ability and flexibility to work in a changing environment with many colleagues.
- Ability to conduct research and gather information through various methods, including telephone, e-mail and Internet.
- Basic photography and videography skills are a plus.
Candidates must submit the following documents in PDF or MS Word format via email to jobs AT william.jewell DOT edu
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources.
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises students an outstanding liberal arts education that cultivates leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.