Jobs at Jewell: Director of Creativity and Innovation (Three-Year Appointment)
Department: Business and Leadership
FLSA Status: Exempt
William Jewell College (Jewell) seeks applicants for a full-time faculty member (3-year term appointment) who will be responsible for leading an initiative on creativity and innovation across the campus. Believing that creativity and creative thinking are going to be increasingly essential in the future, Jewell desires to be a leader in infusing the concepts of innovation and creativity into the curriculum to meet the dynamic needs of the marketplace and society. The person in this position will bring together the liberal arts and professional programs to implement an approach to innovation that will permeate the entire campus culture. This individual will be a part of the Department of Business and Leadership but work with and across all departments on campus. The position will have significant responsibilities to manage and develop programs related to innovation and then have teaching responsibilities in the newly designed creativity and innovation curriculum. The successful candidate will therefore, ideally, have some teaching experience, some professionally related experience and a proven record of innovation.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Creativity and Innovation will have both teaching and administrative responsibilities, some of which include:
- Partner with an established team of faculty to implement and teach courses (up to 16 credit hours per academic year) in the Creativity and Innovation Curriculum.
- Work across disciplines to encourage, train and promote innovation in all aspects of campus life.
- Develop and oversee three college-funded grant programs aimed at students, faculty and staff to enhance innovation.
- Work with students to foster new ideas and move towards implementation.
- Develop an educational and networking series that encourages innovation and creativity.
- Cultivate a network of alumni and community members for faculty, staff and students who are working on new concepts.
- Oversee the student entrepreneurial society (E Society) and help them continue to grow and impact the campus in a way that is consistent with the mission.
- Vision and implement programming for the newly designed Innovation Lab.
- Doctorate or Master’s degree in related field required.
- Rank will be determined based on qualifications brought to the position.
- A willingness to be entrepreneurial, continually seeking ways to grow and enhance a program; and to provide students of all disciplines the skills and resources needed to thrive in challenging environments.
- Demonstrated high aptitude for and interest in developing networks and working with the community both within Jewell and beyond.
- A commitment to transfer what they know about the mindset of innovation and creativity to our campus.
- A proven record to work across disciplines/departments to work collaboratively on new ideas.
- A commitment to share ideas and successes with colleagues.
- A desire to engage with experiential components of the curriculum to further enhance the student learning experience.
- Normal office environment with the understanding that the position may require some evenings and weekends for key meetings and workshops with various constituents.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Candidates must submit the following documents in PDF or MS Word format via email to jobs AT william.jewell DOT edu
Letter of application
Transcripts (copies are acceptable until finalists are selected)
Provide some demonstration of how an innovation program could have an effect on a liberal arts college campus
Two or three confidential letters of recommendation (to be sent directly by your referees), along with name and contact information for the referees
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources.
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Applications will be accepted until August 1, 2013. Review of applications will begin immediately.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission Statement: William Jewell College promises to offer students an outstanding liberal arts education with a focus on cultivating leadership, service and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.