Jobs at Jewell: Instructor of Biology
FSLA Status: Exempt
The Department of Biology seeks applicants for a non-tenured, non-tenure track full-time teaching position to begin August 2014. The successful candidate will be prepared to teach courses in Human Anatomy, Human Physiology and Microbiology.
William Jewell College is a nationally-ranked liberal arts college with an enrollment of approximately 1,000. It is located in Liberty, Missouri, a suburb of Kansas City. The Department of Biology offers bachelor's degrees in biology and molecular biology, and, in conjunction with the Department of Chemistry, a bachelor's degree in biochemistry. Additionally, the Department offers pre-requisite courses for students preparing for careers in a variety of health professions (premed, nursing, physical/occupational therapy).
- MS degree in Biology or a related field is required.
- Ability to teach Human Anatomy, Human Physiology and Microbiology and requisite labs is required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The exact assignment of courses to be taught will ultimately be determined by the needs of the department and the qualifications of the person hired. It is expected that lectures and labs for both semesters of human anatomy, physiology and microbiology will be involved, courses taken by pre-health profession students. The teaching load for the position is likely to average about 15 contact hours per week.
- The faculty member will also have liaison duties with the Department of Nursing and the Premedical Advising Program to ensure the courses meet the needs of the department and program.
- Attendance at appropriate faculty meetings for the Department of Nursing is expected, in addition to departmental meetings for the Department of Biology.
Candidates must submit the following documents in PDF or MS Word format via email to jobs AT william.jewell DOT edu.
- Letter of application
- William Jewell College application
- Curriculum vitae
- Response to the college mission
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Scholarly/Creative goals
- Transcripts (copies are acceptable until finalists are selected)
- Three letters of recommendation (for finalists only)
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources.
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin November 15, 2013 and continue until the position is filled.
Please note: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises student an outstanding liberal arts education that cultivates leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.