Jobs at Jewell: Mechanic/Grounds Crew
Department: Facilities Management
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Responsible for operating, maintaining and repairing heavy vehicles and heavy equipment. Mows, trims, and fertilizes lawns and trees. Removes snow from campus walkways and parking lots. Helps with the repair of walks, roads and parking lots.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains and makes repairs to golf carts, lawn mowers, and campus vehicles
- Changes oil and air filters in cars, trucks and vans as needed
- Keeps mechanic’s log of work done on all campus vehicles
- Mows and trims lawns
- Applies fertilizer to trees and lawns
- Removes snow from steps, walks, roadways, and parking lots
- Operates and repairs heavy equipment, including bobcat, dump truck, tractors, forklift, bucket truck, brush hog and chainsaw
- Performs concrete work including small patch repairs
- Performs asphalt work including crack filling and hole patching
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school graduate or equivalent required
- One year of experience required
- Various types of power equipment and basic maintenance and repair knowledge necessary
- Irrigation and computer knowledge preferred
- Must be able to operate heavy equipment
- Class E license required to operate commercial pickup
- Must possess a valid Missouri Driver’s license with acceptable driving record
- Exposure to the elements often required to complete repairs
- Operate potentially hazardous equipment such as mower, weed eater, or hedge trimmers
- Heavy lifting (up to 75 lbs) required occasionally
- Exposure to above normal noise levels, vibration, fumes and dust daily
- Manual dexterity required in performing maintenance and for handling small items and tools
- Must be able to bend, stoop, crawl on hands and knees, and perform repetitive motions
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships
- Must be able to communicate effectively with students, employees and the campus community
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhausive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
- Letter of application
- William Jewell Application
- Salary requirements
Please note: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources:
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises to offer students an outstanding liberal arts education with a focus on cultivating leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.