Jobs at Jewell: Nursing Student Liaison (Position Filled 10/31/13)
FLSA Status: Exempt
This position will provide information and assistance to prospective and current nursing students in all cohorts as they navigate the enrollment process for the nursing program. With an overall knowledge and understanding of enrollment procedures and the nursing program, the Nursing Student Program Liaison guides both prospective and current students through various processes associated with admission, student records, registration, advising and financial aid. The person in this position works closely with and is responsible for effective communication between the department of nursing, admission, the registrar’s office, academic advising, student life, and the business office as it relates to enrollment services. Responsibilities also include representing the College at on-campus and off-campus recruitment and admission events (as needed), advising on the effectiveness of admission and/or enrollment processes, monitoring and tracking admission and retention data, planning and implementing departmental orientation programs, reporting retention statistics, and implementing quality improvement practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides information and direction for admission inquiries in coordination with the Nursing Admission Counselor:
- Consults on admission applications, college and high school transcripts
- Assists both scheduled and unscheduled visitors referred by Admission, including providing a tour of the nursing department to prospective students if needed
- Receives regular reports and updates on transfer and nursing enrollment from the Nursing Admission Counselor and shares information with the Department of Nursing Chairperson
- Provides admission updates to the Department of Nursing
- Collaborates on behalf of the Department of Nursing with the Office of Admission to efficiently process application files and admission decisions
- Schedules and conducts formal interviews as required for transfer, traditional, and accelerated track (AT) nursing program candidates in collaboration with the Nursing Admission Counselor
- Acts as a liaison for students admitted to the program (including traditional, transfer and AT-nursing students) during the period prior to starting the program, to include the maintenance of pre-requisite course requirements and verifying completion of those courses and other required admission criteria (e.g., background checks and drug screening results)
- Provides assistance and answers inquiries from current students regarding the nursing program enrollment process, admission requirements and status, application process, and program coursework
- Plans and conducts orientation programs for all cohorts of nursing students
- Coordinates the planning and implementation of AT and transfer nursing student registration and works with admission and student life to assist with Cardinal Day registration and other orientation and recruitment programs throughout the year
- Represents the department at local community college fairs (Penn Valley, Johnson County Community College, and Maple Woods Community College) and health care agency fairs (i.e., hospitals) in coordination and collaboration with the Nursing Admission Counselor
- Collaborates with the Department of Nursing Student Academic Advisors to manage the individual and group meetings for candidates
- Meets regularly for updates with the Chair and Admission and Progression Committee of the Department of Nursing; attends Nursing Department Faculty meetings; attends nursing standing committee meetings as requested
- Provides a friendly and professional atmosphere for all students, faculty and visitors in the Department of Nursing
- Collaborates with the student life, registrar’s office, advising office and the business office in coordinating information for students from the time of acceptance to graduation
- Updates and maintains nursing department website in coordination with the Admission and Advancement Offices
- Update and maintain nursing applications, supplement guides, and curriculum guides
- Maintains scholarship and financial aid information board for all nursing students; coordinates information with the departmental administrative assistant to ensure scholarship and financial aid information is distributed if appropriate
- Coordinates with the Nursing Admission Counselor to maintain records of applications, admission and graduation of nursing students including demographic data
- Counsels current Jewell students who are contemplating changing majors
- Advises students who stop-out; collaborate with advisors for students who change tracks to ensure advising information is distributed and accurate
- Other duties as assigned
- Promotes the Mission, Promise, Values and Vision of the College in daily activities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with students and health care professionals
- Experience in recruitment and admission
- Ability to function in a flexible, student-centered environment
- Ability to plan, organize and meet established deadlines
- Ability to maintain admission data systems
- Basic knowledge and ability with Microsoft Outlook and Office products
- Normal working/office hours required, and position may entail long hours during parts of the academic year based upon key periods within the admission cycle
- The candidate must be able to work with ease under conditions of busy workload and multiple demands
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhausive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
- Letter of application
- William Jewell Application
- Salary requirements
Please note: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources:
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises to offer students an outstanding liberal arts education with a focus on cultivating leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.