Jobs at Jewell: Resident Director
Department: Office of Student Life
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Resident Director (RD) is a full-time professional staff member who serves the College as an integral part of the Residence Life Staff, ten (10) months during the academic year (early August until late May) and reports directly to the Assistant Director of Residence Life. RDs live in an apartment within the residence hall where they are responsible for creating and maintaining a comprehensive living/learning program for their students. RDs work with students in areas of advising, programming (social, educational and cultural), administration and general operation of the hall. The RD oversees a student staff of Resident Assistants (RAs), who live on each hall/wing of the building and act as the frontline contact for students. The RD will be assigned other collateral responsibilities within the Office of Student Life or in other campus departments that provide student support services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a role model for students in every aspect of College and community life; represent and support Residence Life and the College in interactions with students, faculty, staff, parents and guests
- Know, understand, adhere to and uphold all College and Residential policies and regulations; be familiar with all printed materials directly affecting the operation of Residence Life, such as forms, handbooks and procedural correspondence, etc.; be able to interpret College policies and procedures to students
- Administer housing operations including check-in, check-out, room changes, facilities usage, occupancy, duty coverage, etc.
- Be visible and accessible to students
- Coordinate student learning, community development, and personal development activities within the residence hall
- Development, implementation and support of Residence Hall Council (RHC) with oversight and assessment of hall programming budget and all related hall activities/events
- Assist with student retention of residents within the building and record pertinent information in Cardinal Experience
- Participate in the formation, implementation and evaluation of the goals and objectives of the overall residence life program
- Able to work under pressured/stressful conditions and serve as front line staff if emergencies occur in residential facilities
- Serve as a conduct officer, ensuring that the disciplinary process is fairly and efficiently administered
- "On-call" 24-hours/day while residence halls are open; must be able to respond to assistance calls from residents; serve as point person for emergency responses, procedures and crises for designated building(s); will collaborate closely with Campus Safety when appropriate
- Responsible for the hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of residence hall staff
- Attend all staff meetings, training, development and in-service functions and assist as needed
- Responsible for the management and oversight of the hall office
- Responsible for resident and facility record and information collection and management
- Will be assigned collateral assignments with the Office of Student Life or other areas offering student support services (12 hours/week)
- Collaborate with Facilities Management staff to ensure proper maintenance/up-keep and custodial services of the building
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Four-year college degree required
- Prior residence life or related field experience strongly preferred
- An appreciation for the mission and support of our residential philosophy and efforts towards building a healthy and thriving community
- The ability to establish relationships with individuals from a variety of backgrounds and viewpoints
- Strong organizational, communication (written and oral) skills and schedule flexibility are a must
- Willingness to live and work in the residence halls and assume 24-hour on-call responsibilities
- Supervise 4-5 resident assistants and part-time student office assistant employees
- Position is paid over 10 months of full-time active duties with no scheduled work during June and July
- Benefits year-round, continuing through unpaid months of June and July
- Rent/maintenance-free, year-round residence (unfurnished apartment located inside the residence hall) and board plan during the academic year
- Mixture of regular office work incorporated into a live-in environment with college students
- Weekends and nights are an expected aspect of the position
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Candidates must submit the following documents in PDF or MS Word format via email to jobs AT william.jewell DOT edu:
- Cover Letter
- William Jewell College application
- Salary Requirements
Please Note: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources:
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The start date will be August 1, 2015.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises students an outstanding liberal arts education that cultivates leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.