Jobs at Jewell: Transcript Evaluator (part-time)
Department: Office of the Registrar
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Serves as the primary evaluator for courses taken at other institutions and transferred to William Jewell College. Reports to the Registrar.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluate academic credit presented on official transcripts from other regionally-accredited institutions, as it applies to the academic programs of William Jewell.
- Make use of TES (Transfer Evaluation System, from CollegeSource) software to assist in the evaluation process, to route information to department chairs as necessary, and to seek approval of the Registrar. Locate additional information, as needed, concerning the institution from which the transcript came or concerning individual courses.
- Record in Datatel, the college’s Student Information System, the results of the evaluations of transcripts for all applicants.
- Develop a method for listing course equivalencies in a manner that will facilitate conversations of recruiters with prospective students.
- Train persons involved in recruiting transfer students the basics of transcript evaluation so that they can provide initial guidance to prospective students.
- Assist in developing and maintaining procedures through which original transcripts are used in the evaluation process and then kept secure. Keep a record of transcripts received and evaluations carried out.
- Assist in maintaining and updating a record of policies and practices used in evaluations of transcripts.
- Make use of Student Tracker (from National Student Clearinghouse) to determine if we have received transcripts from all of a prospective student’s former institutions.
- Provide opinions about numbers of hours that will transfer to Jewell in cases where only an unofficial transcript can be obtained.
- Maintain confidentiality of academic records at all times.
Knowledge,Skills, Abilities, and other Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Previous experience with academic records, such as in a Registrar’s office or an Admission office, is preferred.
- As this is a half-time position and the workload varies seasonally, there must be an ability to adjust working hours to fit the demand. (It is expected that the heaviest workload will be from May through August and in December & January.)
- Efficient at producing evaluations that are completed in a timely manner with minimal supervision.
- Able to become familiar quickly and thoroughly with Jewell’s academic policies and to monitor changes in policies.
- Able to become familiar quickly and thoroughly with Jewell’s curriculum, especially with the core curriculum, and to monitor changes in the curriculum.
- Able to work cooperatively with the individuals in other offices who are recruiting the students whose transcripts will be evaluated. Able to work cooperatively with others in the Registrar’s office and with faculty and other staff.
- Able to carry out transcript evaluations in a manner that reflects the need to be both welcoming to prospective transfer students and cognizant of the value of Jewell credits and degrees and of the importance of following approved procedures.
- Accurate at data entry.
- Must possess good organizational skills and proficiency with office software.
- Normal office environment.
- The work will not necessarily all need to be done during the regular business hours of the Office of the Registrar, but the transcript evaluator ought to be available to some extent for consultation during regular business hours.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Candidates must submit the following documents in PDF or MS Word format via email to jobs AT william.jewell DOT edu
- Cover letter
- Transcripts (copies are acceptable until finalists are selected)
- William Jewell College application
Applicants, who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources.
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resource
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises students an outstanding liberal arts education that cultivates leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.