Library Instruction and Research Assistance
Rebecca Hamlett, the Instruction Librarian, offers a variety of options for research assistance and library instruction to faculty and students. To schedule an appointment or session for any of the services listed below, please contact her at hamlettr AT william.jewell DOT edu.
Library Instruction Sessions:
General and subject-specific library instruction sessions are available by request to faculty. These sessions are structured so that you can schedule the Instruction Librarian to visit your class and provide your students with information on library and research resources. Below are examples of what is covered in these sessions.
- Overview of organization of library materials (print and online)
- Searching within the Curry, MOBIUS, and WorldCat catalogs to locate materials
- Interlibrary Loan (what it is, how to use it, where to find it)
- Online research databases – includes the Big 3 – Summon, Academic Search Complete, ProQuest
- E-books – where to find them, how to use them
- E-journals – where to find them, how to use them
- Additional information such as contact info, Your Library Account, the proxy server, Boolean
Subject-specific sessions are also available by request. The following are some examples of subject-specific instruction that you may want to request to be covered:
- Citation styles
- The DOI system
- Website credibility
- Subject-specific databases
- In-depth inter-library loan instruction
- Tracking back citations to expand resources
- Plagiarism and Copyright law
- Dewey Decimal and browsing the stacks
- Advanced Boolean searching
- Locating primary sources (archives, LOC, MDH)
- Government documents
The Instruction Librarian asks that you request your session no later than one week in advance. Sessions are scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please allow at least one full hour for the General Session. Subject-specific sessions can be scheduled independently or substituted for a part of the general session instruction.
Individual Instruction Sessions:
Private appointments are available to faculty and students for individual assistance with research and resources. Assistance and instruction can cover any of the topics above. Appointments can be made by emailing Rebecca Hamlett at hamlettr AT william.jewell DOT edu.