Still Scholars PreOsteopathic Program
The Still Scholars Program is designed to provide admission opportunities to outstanding students of William Jewell College who have as their goal to become Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine. The program is conducted under the joint collaboration of William Jewell and A.T.Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCOM).
Under this program, William Jewell students apply to KCOM near the end of their sophomore year. A maximum of two students will be awarded reserved admissions to KCOM at the beginning of their junior year at Jewell. Students complete their junior and senior years and earn a Bachelor's degree at Jewell prior to matriculating at KCOM.
One advantage for those students accepted into the program is to have a reserved seat in KCOM's entering class upon graduation from Jewell without having to take the MCAT. In addition, students will receive an academic scholarship at KCOM.
William Jewell students may enroll in any major, provided that the KCOM requirements are met. (See below.) Applications are available from the Premedical Advisory Program at Jewell and must be submitted to the Premedical Advisory Committee by April 1 of the sophomore year.
Eligibility criteria for the program include:
- Minimum GPA of 3.4 overall and 3.4 in the sciences.
- Three-fourths of prerequisite coursework must be completed, with all grades above B-minus.
- Submission of three evaluations, covering academics, clinical experience, and community involvement.
Selection (by a committee at KCOM) will include consideration of
Students who are admitted to the program must
- Fulfillment of academic and course requirements
- Commitment to osteopathic medicine
- Community service/leadership positions held
- Successful interview at KCOM
- maintain a 3.4 science GPA and an overall 3.4 GPA.
- continue to gain experience in medicine and to pursue leadership/service opportunities.
- demonstrate a commitment to osteopathic medicine.
- participate in KCOM Still Scholar events.
- maintain contact with ATSU/KCOM admission office.
- submit an AACOMAS application by July 1 prior to the senior year.
- complete the requirements for a BA/BS at Jewell.
- participate in KCOM final pre-matriculation review.