A group of 10 primary and secondary school teachers from Hong Kong and Guangzhou, China, will attend “The Power of Liberal Studies” workshop July 19-31 on the William Jewell College campus in Liberty, Mo.
Itinerary events with photographic interest include:
- July 21 (2:30 to 4 p.m.): Missouri Teacher of the Year Eric Langhorst demonstrates technology in the classroom, 118/119 Marston Hall, William Jewell College campus, Liberty, Mo.
- July 21 (6 to 9 p.m.): Bonfire & cookout, horseback riding, Starlight Stables, 19021 N.E. 128th Street, Liberty, Mo.
- July 23 (7 to 9 p.m.): Walking tour of Liberty Town Square, Kansas and N. Main Streets, Liberty, Mo.
- July 25 (5:30 to 9 p.m.): Indigo Hour at the Blue Room, 1616 E. 18th St., Kansas City, Mo., followed by picnic dinner and movie on Crown Center Square
- July 26 (1:15 p.m. ): Dragon Boat Festival, Brush Creek, Country Club Plaza
- July 28 (6 to 9 p.m.): BBQ buffet, followed by square dancing lessons, Browning Hall, William Jewell College campus, Liberty, Mo.
- July 29 (10 a.m. to noon): Tucker Leadership Lab Ropes Course, William Jewell College campus, Liberty, Mo.
- July 29 (7 to 9 p.m.): T-Bones baseball game, Community America Ballpark, Kansas City, Kan.
- July 30 (6 to 9 p.m.): Closing Banquet, Yates-Gill College Union, William Jewell College campus, Liberty, Mo.
The Chinese educational system is undergoing a paradigm shift from fact-based, rote memorization to a culture that embraces the liberal arts style of integrating disciplines as practiced at William Jewell College and other American institutions of higher learning, according to Dr. Cynthia Green, professor of education at William Jewell.
“With its longtime commitment to liberal studies, William Jewell is a good fit for the changing focus of education in China,” Dr. Green said. “We will be demonstrating teaching models that are employed at the secondary level in American schools.” In addition to William Jewell College faculty, area secondary teachers will also be presenting at the workshop.
Along with daily classroom sessions, workshop participants will engage in evening and weekend activities aimed at familiarizing them with American culture. (See highlights of schedule above.)
To contact project coordinator Dr. Cynthia Green, professor of education at William Jewell College, regarding the academic schedule, call 816-415-7623;greenc AT william.jewell DOT edu
To contact Jason Groves, coordinator of evening and weekend activities, call 913-636-4270 (cell phone during events) or in advance at William Jewell College, 816-415-5984;grovesj AT william.jewell DOT edu
For a campus map and driving directions, go to ../../gen/william_and_jewell_generated_pages/Campus_Map_m84.html