William Jewell College students, faculty and staff will participate in the annual “Serve and Celebrate” service project September 25, fanning out across the city to assist individuals and organizations in a variety of capacities. Jewell students and faculty contributed more than 41,000 hours of service learning and community service during the 2009-2010 academic year. The College was named to the President’s Community Service Honor Roll for 2009-2010. More than 300 Jewell volunteers are typically involved in the “Serve and Celebrate” event at about 30 different sites throughout the metropolitan area.
WHAT: Serve & Celebrate service projects
WHEN: 8 a.m. to noon September 25; Opening Rally in Gano Chapel – 8 a.m., William Jewell College campus, Liberty, Mo.
WHERE: Among the service sites are
• Martha LaFite Thompson Nature Sanctuary-407 N. LaFrenz Road, Liberty, Mo.; 64068; trail maintenance
• Kansas City Center for Urban Agriculture, 4223 Gibbs Road, Kansas City, Kan., 66106
• Higher MPact, Parker Square Community Center, 1051 Basie Street, Kansas City, Mo., 64106
• City Union Mission-1100 E 11th Street, Kansas City, Mo.; sorting supplies, building shelves, etc.
• The Kansas City Academy 7933 Main St., Kansas City, Mo., 64114
• The Fuller Center - 4413 N Kensington Ave, Kansas City, Mo., 64127
• Franklin Elementary School, 201 W. Mill St., Liberty, Mo., 64068
• The Spofford House, 9700 Grandview Road, Kansas City, Mo., 64137
• Liberty Fall Festival - The Square in Liberty
• Kansas City Free Health Clinic-3515 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
For more information, contact Jeff Buscher, campus minister; buscherj AT william.jewell DOT edu