Now that you are registered for fall classes, here is some important information about our Jewellverse initiative, such as receiving your iPad, student professional development opportunities, key policy statements and information technology recommendations.
The main iPad student distribution days will take place in Curry Hall, Main Level, during the following dates and times:
- Friday, August 18: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Saturday, August 19: 9:00 a.m. – noon
Plan to spend around 30-45 minutes because there are a few steps that you will need to go through before starting your Jewellverse experience. Some students will receive their iPad prior to these dates as part of a planned group or athletic team distribution. Their supervisor, coach or advisor will notify these students about the specific distribution date and time. New first-year students should pick up their iPad prior to Saturday (August 19) noon because you will need it for First-Year Orientation that begins promptly at 1:00 p.m.
Here are some things you need to know before you pick up your iPad:
- You must bring your student ID; you will not receive your iPad without it.
- You need to acquire an Apple ID prior to receiving your iPad. Go to http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534 to learn about establishing an Apple ID. Students are encouraged to NOT use your Jewell email address for your Apple ID. If you do not want to enter credit card information at this time you must follow the directions for creating an account on an iPad in the link above and be sure you follow the instructions to select “none” when asked for billing information. You can add a credit card to your billing information after you receive your iPad. You will need to know your Apple ID and password when you come to receive your iPad. Not having this information will delay the process.
- We strongly recommend purchasing insurance to cover loss or damage to your iPad. You will be responsible for maintaining the iPad in good condition and turning in the same iPad, charger and cord we issue to you when the time comes. Additional information on insurance options will be available in Curry Hall when you pick up your iPad.
- Help with setting up your iPad will be available as part of the process in Curry Hall. Engagement Hub (eHub) students will be available in Curry Hall to provide additional orientation and training during the above distribution dates and times.
- The device you are receiving is a space grey iPad Pro (10.5”) with 64 GB memory and a power charger. You need this information when selecting a protective cover or accessories because not all covers fit this version of the iPad.
Student support will also be available at the eHub on the lower level of Pryor Learning Commons throughout the academic year. The eHub will be staffed with students trained in tech support and development. This service will help with questions on device usage and project development.
Some of you may have questions about bringing a laptop since you are receiving an iPad Pro. The following link is an article titled “Apple’s iPad Pro is closer than ever to replacing your laptop” that might be useful as you make this decision: http://wapo.st/2rSJE1l?tid=ss_mail&utm_term=.3e1cc50703ff. You are also encouraged to review the Student Digital Resources Information, which contains updated recommendations, so please take a moment to review it.
If you have questions about when to pick up your iPad or about the process, please feel free to contact Elise Fisher, Director of Teaching and Learning Technologies at (816) 415 -7641 or firstname.lastname@example.org.