POSITION TITLE: Director of Human Resources
DEPARTMENT: Office of Human Resources
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Finance & Operations
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Responsible for the execution of Human Resources policies, procedures, compliance and the administration of the employee and retiree benefit programs. Serve as a direct report to the Vice President for Finance & Operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain regular communication with the Vice President for Finance & Operations on all personnel, benefits, compliance and legal matters.
- Serve as a thought partner with the Vice President for Finance & Operations and the President’s Cabinet on strategic human resource issues as appropriate.
- Consult with and advise campus supervisory and management staff to assure campus-wide compliance and consistency with regard to the administration of employment-related policies and procedures.
- Consult with legal counsel as appropriate and directed by a President’s Cabinet member on personnel matters.
- Serve as the College’s Deputy Anti-Harassment and Title IX Coordinator.
- Oversee the employment and hiring process including job posting, advertising, applicant tracking, onboarding, and orientation.
- Oversee the administration of benefits including determining eligibility, aiding in enrollment when necessary, ensuring accuracy in reconciliation of billing and compliance with ACA.
- Direct the benefits program for employees and retirees including review of vendor contracts and benefit literature, preparation and dissemination of benefit material. Work with carriers to adjudicate claims and resolve problems. Direct and coordinate campus-wide benefit fairs, open enrollment meetings, and benefit orientations.
- Serve as a key member of the College’s Retirement Plan Committee and work closely with the Vice President for Finance & Operations and Controller on ensuring effective and efficient administration of the retirement plan. Partner with external constituents to ensure ERISA compliance. Annually prepare, review and disseminate information to 403(b) plan participants on a timely basis.
- Evaluate and make recommendations as appropriate in regard to personnel disciplinary matters.
- Stay abreast of human resources trends and employment legislation. Proactively participate in training and seminars to provide the College with best practice policies and procedures.
- Manage the tuition remission, tuition exchange and tuition assistance programs.
- Participate on various College committees as requested and/or assigned.
- Direct the processing of the monthly employee and retiree insurance billing.
- Manage departmental recordkeeping and reporting. Ensure compliance, confidentiality and security of information.
- Manage the development and classification of job descriptions for exempt and non-exempt positions. Perform periodic review of job descriptions.
- Process and disseminate all faculty employment appointments in coordination with the Provost’s office.
- Assist appropriate College personnel in assessing training needs and options.
- Coordinate with payroll staff as required, ensuring communication and problem resolution of employment and payroll related information.
- Manage departmental budget.
- Coordinate the annual review process.
- Participate in multiple higher education surveys.
- Supervise Human Resources staff including selection, training, and evaluation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field required. PHR/SPHR certification, human resources legal background, and other benefit certifications desired.
- Strong generalist background required, with at least two years related management experience in human resources and/or employee benefits preferred.
- Background in higher education preferred.
- Familiarity with federal, state and local laws relating to employment practices.
- Knowledge of and experience in human resources/payroll procedures and employee benefit insurance.
- Ability to handle confidential matters judiciously and discreetly.
- Demonstrated customer service skills. Ability to relate effectively and tactfully with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to cope with stress-related issues and provide resources to individuals with problems and/or in crisis situations.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines with frequent interruption.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement assigned responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. The ability to learn new computer applications including, but not limited to: ContentM web content management application, Datatel administrative database, CBIZ Millennium payroll database, and other online benefit databases.
- Standard office environment. May be required to stand for long periods during presentations or programs.
- Evening and/or weekend work may be required.
- Ability to drive and travel as needed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Candidates must submit the following documents via email to email@example.com:
- Letter of application
- William Jewell College application
- Salary Requirements
Please note: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources:
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position is open until filled.
All final candidates must successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: William Jewell College promises students an outstanding liberal arts education that cultivates leadership, service, and spiritual growth within a community inspired by Christian ideals and committed to open, rigorous intellectual pursuits.
Our Philosophy: We are critical thinkers in community pursuing meaningful lives.
William Jewell College is committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.