The Languages Department offers programs in the core languages representing the peoples, cultures and literatures of the Western World and in languages critical to an understanding of the present world beyond the West. Committed to the College’s promise to provide “open, rigorous intellectual pursuit” in the discipline of languages, the department seeks to develop in our students the expertise of our discipline: cultural literacy, language competencies and cross-cultural experiential skills through established majors and minors. The department recognizes student achievement by nomination to and induction into Phi Sigma Iota, the international foreign language honor society.
The department’s majors lead to a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree. Students who are interested in interdiscplinary studies in Classics or in Languages and International Business are invited to speak with the department chair about the process involved in creating a self-designed major.
Majors (Bachelor of Arts):
- Romance Languages
- Arabic Area Studies
- Chinese Area Studies
- Classical Humanities
- Japanese Area Studies
Study in another country: While much of your language work takes place in the classroom, Jewell’s language department encourages students to participate in one of our more than twenty foreign study programs. You can live in and learn about the cultures of France, Spain, Mexico, Argentina, Germany, Austria, Japan, China, Greece and Italy while studying at a prominent university for a semester or a full year. You experience the day-to-day life of another country firsthand while enhancing your language skills.
Combine your language with another field of study:
- The interdisciplinary International Business and Language program is a self-designed major to prepare students for a career in International Business and to develop proficiency in a foreign language.
- Study education and become certified to teach French or Spanish.
- Prepare to work in a not-for-profit organization through the Nonprofit Leadership Certificate program.
Serve others while you are learning a language: Students have opportunities through their coursework to apply their language skills at a local agency, serving a variety of needs in the Kansas City metropolitan area. This learning is incorporated into the classroom through discussion and reflection papers.
The Languages Department welcomes students of many interests into our major and minor programs. Students find that their language major adds a new dimension to their academic studies in Art History, Business, Chemistry, English, History, International Relations, Music, Oxbridge Institutions and Policy and Oxbridge Literature and Theory, Psychological Science and Theatre, for example. Others choose to couple their language with programs that have specific career applications, such as Education, International Business and Nonprofit Leadership. Through study abroad, service learning, and class-related experiences, Jewell language majors have opportunity to develop communication skills, increase their cultural awareness, and achieve academic excellence that will help foster success in their various career paths, graduate school programs and fields of service.
The mission of the Language Department of William Jewell College is to:
- Offer languages representing the peoples, cultures and literatures of the Western World: French, Greek, Latin, and Spanish.
- Offer languages key to an understanding of the present world beyond the West: Arabic, Chinese and Japanese.
- Develop in our students the expertise of our discipline: cultural literacy, language competencies and cross-cultural experiential skills.
- Establish levels of achievement represented by majors and minors for each language.
- Recognize student achievement by nomination to and induction into Phi Sigma Iota.
Choosing a Language
All languages offer valuable reasons for study. They enhance communication skills and they open doors to the cultures of the world. For some students, choosing a language is easy. You may choose a language because you are already familiar with it, because its culture has always fascinated you, or because of your family’s origins or connections with friends you have made in travel or study abroad. However, if you are unsure of which language to study at William Jewell College, you might consider a language that enhances your interests or facilitates your career goals.