RN to BSN Online Program
Because of the commitment of the Department of Nursing to excellence in professional nursing and the desire to assist those persons who are licensed as a registered nurse (RN) but who lack a bachelor’s degree, William Jewell College offers a track in its nursing program through which a BS degree, with a major in Nursing, can be completed. This track maintains the course requirements and structure of the major in nursing while also providing experiences tailored to the qualifications of the student who has already earned an associate degree and has a state license to practice as an RN. The majority of courses needed to complete the bachelor’s degree will be available through online delivery.
Prerequisite courses (must be completed prior to beginning the RN-BSN program; note that the Associate Degree transcript will be evaluated for equivalency credit)
- Introduction to Psychology
- Written Communication
- College Algebra or Calculus
- Fundamentals of Chemistry with lab
- Introduction to Microbiology with lab
- Fundamentals of Nursing with lab and clinical
- Adult Health Nursing with lab and clinical
- Mental Health Nursing with clinical
- Physical Exam/Health Assessment with lab
- Mother/Baby/Pediatric Nursing with clinical
- Human Anatomy with lab
- Human Physiology with lab
- Human Pathophysiology
Selection is competitive and based upon:
- Associate Degree in Nursing from a regionally-accredited college or university
- Completion of applications to William Jewell College and the Department of Nursing
- Submission of official copies of transcripts from all post-secondary institutions at which the student has been enrolled in courses or received financial aid, even if credit was not awarded
- Applicants normally presenting a minimum GPA of 2.7 (on a 4.0 scale)
- A minimum grade of C-minus in all prerequisite courses and in any other courses to be considered for transfer to William Jewell
- Submission of an unencumbered state license to practice as a registered nurse
- Two references, one from a current employer/supervisor
- An interview with members of the nursing department
- A written summary of any community, volunteer and health-related experiences
- Background check and drug screen (see below)
Before they begin classes at William Jewell, students in this program must submit official copies of final transcripts from all post-secondary institutions at which they have been enrolled in courses or received financial aid, even if credit was not awarded.
Consult the section on “Requirements for Transfer Admission,” and note that students will enter the program with differences in backgrounds, since requirements will have been different at the institutions where associate’s degrees were earned. Thus, each student’s requirements for completing a bachelor’s degree will have to be determined in consultation with the Registrar and the Department of Nursing.
In order to comply with terms of affiliating agreements between William Jewell College and clinical agencies, any student who has contact with patients (or residents) must disclose any criminal convictions and agree to be subject to criminal background check and drug screening by state or private investigative agencies. The College has implemented a background check policy that does not allow acceptance of applications from individuals for whom any or all of the following apply: criminal convictions, pending charges, and/or negative information on a Family Care Safety Registry (FCSR) report from the State of Missouri. Please see the Nursing Program website for the background check and drug screen policies.