Physics Careers 

One of the most frequently-asked questions among prospective students is: What can you do with a physics degree? Actually, physics students are very well-equipped for a variety of careers, after completing their studies at William Jewell College. Over the past several years, a number of our students have matriculated in Masters’ or Ph.D. programs in physics, chemistry, or engineering upon receiving the B.A. degree. In many cases, those students have pursued research or technical careers after graduate studies. These careers often involve positions as research scientists, project engineers, professors, or electrical, mechanical, or civil engineers.

Physics also is excellent preparation for professional schools in business, law, and medicine. In today’s highly technical world, more and more businesses are looking for students trained in business and in technical fields such as physics. Therefore, many MBA programs are accepting an increasing number of scientifically-trained students. At the undergraduate level, our own Science and Technology Management degree prepares students in science and business. In the field of law, physics provides outstanding preparation for becoming a patent lawyer. Finally, professional schools in health care, including medical, dental, and optometry schools, require strong backgrounds in science.

Other possible careers, following undergraduate preparation, are teaching and engineering. Students interested in teaching physics at the secondary level can obtain a teaching certificate from Jewell with a four-year degree. Students pursuing undergraduate engineering degrees usually complete “3-2” or “4-2” programs in which the students complete 3 or 4 years of study at Jewell, followed by 1-2 years of study at select engineering schools. Following completion of the engineering curriculum, students receive two undergraduate degrees—one from Jewell in physics and one from the engineering school in a specific field. Students interested in these unique engineering programs should contact Professor Patrick Bunton ( or Professor Blane Baker (