The William Jewell College Archives and Special Collections are located on the intermediate floor of Charles F. Curry Library. Access to the collection is by appointment only. Materials from the archives and special collections cannot be checked out or removed from the building without permission from the Instruction & Archive Librarian. To use these materials or to set up a research appointment, please contact Rebecca Hamlett, the Instruction & Archive Librarian at hamlettr AT william.jewell DOT edu or use the Schedule an Appointment link available on the library home page. Please provide as much information regarding the research topic in your correspondence, along with a contact phone number and email address when applicable.
Please see the Archives Reference Policy for specific details regarding access to the collections. Photocopying is permitted and copies are $.05 per page.
Retired Brigadier General and Mrs. Jack Capps gave this collection of letters from Harry and Bess Truman, and books by and about Mr. Truman, to the college in 2006. Some of the books are signed by the author or by Mr. Truman. The collection also contains some photographs.
Dr. John F. Herget, former president of William Jewell College and an 1895 alumnus, presented this collection of Limited Editions Club books to the college in 1948. Dr. Herget was president of the college from 1928-1942. The collection includes books printed on special paper, illustrated by a talented artist, or bound in a unique fashion.
This is a collection of the writings of Dr. Balthasar Hubmaier, an Anabaptist, who was burned at the stake in Vienna in 1528 because of his religious beliefs. The collection consists of 6 bound volumes of photographs of the original German works. These photographic documents were collected by Dr. W. O. Lewis, former commissioner of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society of Europe, from libraries in Berlin, Vienna, and Czechoslovakia. Dr. George D. Davidson, former head of the Foreign Language Department at Jewell, created an English translation of Hubmaier's works in 1939. The English and German editions are also available on microfilm.
William R. Hull, Jr., a former Congressman from the Sixth Missouri District, donated his collection of personal and political papers from his years in the 84th to 92th Congresses. The papers were divided between Park College and William Jewell College. Jewell's collection consists of 1080 folders, 14 scrapbooks, and a complete set of microfilm.
Archival records of the college as well as articles and books published by alumni and faculty are kept in the Jewelliana Collection. Some items included are college catalogs, newspapers, directories, yearbooks, alumni and staff newsletters, student handbooks, special events programs, biography and history files, and photographs.
Miss Lois Lenski, well known writer and illustrator of children's books, presented books and original illustrations to Curry Library in 1958.
Mr. Frank Littleford donated his collection of books and magazines to the library in the 1980's. Although many of the items are about the Civil War, the collection includes materials related to several world conflicts involving the United States.
The Missouri Collection, established in 1970, emphasizes western Missouri history. Special emphasis is given to acquiring material on Clay County and Liberty. Items include books, articles, newspapers, pamphlets, and maps.
A repository for Missouri Baptist materials that provides programs to assist all Missouri Baptists in their own preservation and planning needs.
Payne Military Collection
Mr. Houstin Payne, a former officer in the U.S. Strategic Tactical Air Force department of photo intelligence in England and a 1932 alumnus of the college, gave this five volume collection of maps charting movement of American troops in the European theater during World War II. Maps include rare aerial reconnaissance photographs of German bomb installations, daily records of road and reconnaissance attacks and attacks on enemy installations, captured monthly data on German bomb production, bomb launchings and targets in England.
Mrs. Pauline Sharp, a 1937 alumnus of the college, gave the Settle Collection to the library in 1974 in honor of her father, Rev. Raymond W. Settle, a 1922 alumnus of the college. The collection includes books, periodicals, manuscripts and photographs covering various aspects of Western Americana.
Ms. Irene Renfer Valentine, a 1955 alumnus of the college, gave this collection of autographed children's books to the library.
Ted Malone Collection
The Malone Collection has been transferred to the Marr Sound Archives at the University of Missouri – Kansas City.
Charles H. Spurgeon Collection
The Spurgeon Collection has been transferred to the Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City, Missouri.