William Jewell College pursues a non-discrimination policy with regards to all education programs and employment. William Jewell is committed to the full inclusion of students, faculty, and staff in the life of the Jewell Community in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA), and the Fair Housing Act.
Under Section 504 and the ADAAA, a person has a disability if he/she:
- Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities. These activities can include but are not limited to walking, standing, seeing, eating, speaking, hearing, sitting, breathing, reading, learning, performing manual tasks, caring for oneself.
- Has a record or history of such impairment; or
- Is regarded as having such impairment.
To prevent discrimination on the basis of disability, reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services are determined on a case-by-case basis for otherwise qualified individuals who have a demonstrated need for these services and can provide appropriate documentation.
The Office of Disability Services
This is the place to start for all individuals with disabilities (faculty, staff and students) who wish to apply for accommodations. These accommodations can include but are not limited to learning, housing, dining and workplace accommodations. William Jewell College has a clearly articulated procedure as to who holds the documentation of disability, what steps individuals must take to declare their need for disability-related accommodations, and how that information is communicated to those having a legitimate medical and/or educational interest in the individual. Instructions on requesting accommodations, the application process and other important information is listed below.
Policies and Guidelines for Students
- Request for Accommodation Application
- Housing Accomodation Requests-Information and Instructions
- Dining Accommodation Requests-Information and Instructions
- ESA Policy and Instructions for Application
Resources for Students
- FERPA-Protecting Student Information
- Disability Services-What are my Rights and Responsibilites?
- Making the Transition from High School To College: A Guide from the Office of Civil Rights
- Technology Accessibility and Alternative Text Requests
Policies and Guidelines for Employees
Disability Services-What are my Rights and Responsibilities?
Visitors who require assistance with physical access to the Jewell Campus for an upcoming event should contact Guest Services at (816) 415-5929 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Any individual requiring an interpreter for an upcoming event should contact the Disability Services office at 816-415-7556 or email email@example.com.
Any additional requests or questions regarding programs, services, activities, or facilities accessible to and useable by persons with disabilities, should be directed to the 504 and Compliance Coordinator:
504 and Compliance Coordinator, Office of Disability Services
500 College Hill, Campus Box 1009
Liberty, MO 64068
Phone: (816) 415-7556 Office Fax: (816) 415-5093
The Office of Disability Services is located on the 2nd floor of Gano Chapel, Room 200. This office is accessible by elevator, which is located in the east corner of the building on the main floor.