Documentation Guidelines for Allergy and/or Asthma Related Disabilities
Supporting documentation from an appropriate licensed medical professional is required in order to substantiate an individual’s request for an accommodation. This individual must have the necessary qualifications to accurately and properly diagnose the disability. The information required to support the accommodation request may vary depending on the nature of the disability. This information should be dated within the past 18 months, though there may be times when the College can accept older documentation based on an individual’s specific circumstances.
The report should be printed on professional letterhead and may not be written by an immediate family member of the individual. The report should be faxed to the Accessibility Services Office at 816-415-5050 or mailed to the Accessibility Services Office, Box 1012, 500 College Hill, Liberty, MO 64068.
A comprehensive report should contain the following information:
- Date of initial identification
- Date of current evaluation and status of condition
- Identified triggers/allergens, including diagnostic testing
- Current treatment and restrictions
- Impairments resulting from the diagnosis
- Functional limitations, especially for school-related functions
- Recommendations for accommodations, including rationale
- If medication is prescribed
- Prescribed regimen, including emergency management in the care of anaphylaxis
- Impact on school functioning, including attendance
- Expected duration of treatment
- Known side effects related to school functioning, if any
- If applying for a housing and/or dining accommodation, please include all functional limitations directly related to residential living and/or the meal plan. Recommended accommodations and a rationale for each must also be included.
- The College reserves the right to request additional medical documentation, when necessary, to fully evaluate any safety or health risks associated with requests for accommodation or exemption from the residential housing and/or dining policy.
- General comments from the evaluator are welcomed and appreciated.
- Individuals with apparent physical disabilities may not be subject to the same medical documentation requirements. Please contact the Accessibility Services Office for more information.