Traditional B.S.N. Direct-Admit Policy
Revised 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018. Effective Fall 2019.
1. When applicants are admitted to the college and declare nursing as their major they are classified as direct admit or pre-nursing. Students are then classified as direct admit by completion of the following criteria:
- High school diploma or GED with less than 12 credit hours of college-level course work other than AP and/or dual credit obtained while in high school
- Meeting William Jewell College admission requirements
- ACT of 22 or better
- GPA of 3.0 or higher in high school
- Declaration of nursing as primary major within first semester attending William Jewell College
2. Test optional students are classified as Pre-Nursing Admission. The Pre-Nursing Admission Policy applies.
3. The department does not admit conditional students.
4. All nursing majors must complete a Department of Nursing ‘Intent to Begin’ form, submitted to the Nursing Student Liaison (NSL) stipulating which semester they intend to begin the nursing program.
5. All students, including direct admits, are considered conditionally admitted to the nursing program until all preliminary and secondary conditions of admission are met. Preliminary condition are as follows:
- Achieve a 2.8 or higher cumulative GPA by the start of the semester prior to beginning the nursing program. If this 2.8 or higher cumulative GPA is not maintained prior to intended program start date, then the student will no longer be considered as direct admit status and will follow procedure as stated in numbers 7-10 below.
- Achieve a grade of C- or higher in all prerequisite nursing courses and concurrent labs:
- Chemistry (CHE 113 or 121)
- Basic Psychology (PSY 101)
- Microbiology (BMS 126)
- Human Anatomy (BMS 243)
- Human Physiology (BMS 250)
- Written Communication (CTI 102 )
- Math for the Liberal Arts or Calculus I (CTI 105 or 109)
Has not withdrawn from any prerequisite nursing courses.
- Successful completion of College-required Core Curriculum level I coursework:
- The Responsible Self (CTI 100)
- Identity and Society (CTI 150)
- Completion of the nursing pre-entry exam in the semester prior to beginning the nursing program is required, PSB’s Registered Nursing School Aptitude Examination, as administered by the Department of Nursing
- Exam fee to be paid by the student
6. Secondary conditions for admission are completed during the semester prior, only after preliminary conditions are met. These secondary conditions are as follows:
- Completion of a criminal background check as stipulated by the guidelines of the Department of Nursing’s policy posted on William Jewell College’s Department of Nursing web page.
- Background check fee to be paid by the student
- Completion of a random drug screening as stipulated by the guidelines of the Department of Nursing’s policy posted on William Jewell College’s Department of Nursing web page: www.jewell.edu/nursing
- Assignment of drug screening will be designated randomly by the Department of Nursing
- Drug screening fee to be paid by the student
Verification of Preliminary Conditions
1. At the beginning of each semester, the Nursing Student Liaison (NSL) will verify the GPA and successful completion of prerequisite coursework of all students intending to begin.
- At that time, students will be classified as having met or not met preliminary conditions.
- Any prerequisite courses still in progress at that time will be evaluated at the end of the semester in which they are completed
- The NSL will notify the Department of Nursing Chair and the department’s Admission and Progression Committee (APC) of each individual student’s status on meeting all preliminary conditions of admission.
- APC will send written notification of a student’s status to the student and advisors no later than three weeks into the semester.
2. Students beginning the program in the following semester who have met all preliminary admission requirements satisfactorily will be immediately instructed to complete secondary admission requirements upon notification from the Program Compliance Coordinator (PCC).
- Students who still have prerequisite courses in progress will meet with the PCC to determine the appropriate completion of secondary admission requirements.
3. Students who have not met all preliminary admission requirements satisfactorily (excluding prerequisite courses they are currently enrolled in at the time) will no longer have direct admit status and will no longer be considered eligible to begin the nursing program in the following semester.
- These students will be classified as pre-nursing majors.
- APC will notify them that they must file a new ‘Intent to Begin’ form with the NSL designating a new starting semester.
- Unless a student changes his or her major, the student will continue to be advised by nursing faculty, however, the nursing advisor may change.
4. Students shall complete a new nursing ‘Intent to Begin’ form if they:
- Have not met the 2.8 cumulative GPA or prerequisite grade requirement of C- or better at the start of the semester prior to the intended nursing program start;
- Will be changing cohorts, therefore changing nursing program start dates;
- Are a current William Jewell College student who submits a change of major request to nursing.
Nursing Majors without Direct Admit Status
1. Nursing majors who no longer have direct admit status and complete a new ‘Intent to Begin’ form will participate in a competitive selection process based upon:
- Achieving and maintaining a 2.8 or higher cumulative GPA at the time of consideration and forward
- Achieving a grade of C- or higher in all prerequisite nursing courses and concurrent labs
- Completion of college required Core Curriculum level I coursework
- Submission of a 250-500 word essay answering the following topics: “Why do you want to become a nurse and what is your plan for success through the program?”
- Two letters of recommendation (academic or professional) that address the candidate’s character and ability to complete an intensive course of study
- An interview with one or more members of the Department of Nursing
- A written summary of any community, volunteer and health-related experiences
- Completion of PSB’s Registered Nursing School Aptitude Examination, as administered by the Department of Nursing may be required (Exam fee to be paid by the student)
2. Nursing majors no longer qualifying for direct admit status and participating in the competitive selection process will be placed on a waitlist, maintained by the NSL, for the semester they have declared, as they fulfill preliminary conditions for beginning the nursing program.
- Those nursing majors on the wait list who fulfill preliminary conditions will be selected to begin the nursing major based on cohort space availability.
- If there is no cohort space availability for the intended program start date, the nursing major will have a place reserved in the next subsequent available cohort. Students will be informed of their cohort status as numbers become readily available.
- Those nursing majors on the waitlist who do not fulfill preliminary conditions a second time will not be allowed to declare a third time. They will be advised to meet with their advisors within two weeks to discuss options to change their major.