On-Site Health Center
Jewell's Health Center is staffed by a nurse practitioner through The Liberty Clinic.
Student Health Center
Bring your valid student ID (with a matriculation sticker) to the Health Center in the lower level of Mathes Hall, and you can see our nurse practitioner at no cost. (Cost is $15 per visit for Accelerated Track Nursing and post-graduate program students and employees.) The Center is open weekdays from 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
Keeping the Jewell community healthy
Part of responsible community living includes taking care of yourself and helping those around you stay healthy. During flu season and throughout the year, we ask everyone in our campus community observe these guidelines from the National Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze and before and after eating.
- Alcohol-based hand cleaners also are effective and have been placed near campus restrooms and in high-traffic areas.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth to help prevent the spread of germs.
- If you get sick, the CDC recommends you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
If you need assistance getting your meals when you are ill, contact your resident director or the Student Life Office. We will have a staff member or friend deliver your meals.
Do you have the flu?
If you have flu-like symptoms (which usually include some combination of fever, aches, coughing, diarrhea, or vomiting), you should seek medical attention within 24 to 48 hours of the first indication of symptoms
If you test positive for seasonal flu, take care of yourself and protect the Jewell community from infection.You may not return to work or classes until you are symptom-free (without the aid of medication) for 24 hours (this typically takes five to seven days for symptoms to subside). Documentation from your physician is required before you can return to work or classes.