Pre-Nursing Admission Policy
Effective Date Fall 2017; Revised 5/17, 6/18
- Pre-Nursing majors are students without direct admit status to the program, test optional students, direct admit transfer to the program or transfer students to the college. Students with conditional admit status may not declare nursing as their major.
- Pre-nursing majors will complete an intent to begin form upon admission to the college.
- Pre-nursing majors start dates to the program may only be deferred twice. Please see Intent to Begin Policy.
- Pre-Nursing majors will participate in a competitive selection process based upon:
- Achieving and maintaining a 2.8 or higher cumulative GPA at the time of consideration and forward
- Achieving a grade of C- or higher in all prerequisite nursing courses and concurrent labs
- Preference is given to candidates with B- or better in prerequisite nursing courses.
- Any nursing courses, such as Nutrition, Pathophysiology and Pharmacology, must transfer with a B- or better.
- Completion of college required Core Curriculum level I coursework
- Submission of a 250-500 word essay answering the following topics: “Why do you want to become a nurse and what is your plan for success through the program?”
- Two letters of recommendation (academic or professional) that address the candidate’s character and ability to complete an intensive course of study
- An interview with one or more members of the Department of Nursing
- A written summary of any community, volunteer and health-related experiences
- Completion of PSB’s Registered Nursing School Aptitude Examination, as administered by the Department of Nursing may be required (Exam fee to be paid by the student)